a new species

Home Forums Your Fishing Reports a new species

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  FishingDad10 3 months ago.

• Author
    ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

My client let me have yesterday off following the tournament.   That was nice.   Friday we went jigging.    Oddly everyone caught pompano but me.   First time they have been caught this year.    Not a bunch but enough to be interesting.

25 years living here:   Never seen this fish.   I need to get an identification.      John caught one.   I caught one.

Today, John caught one.   I caught one.    The ones he caught were small.    The ones I caught were both decent size.

It looks like a member of the jack family.    But it also looks like a miniature tuna.

We got on the pompano again today.       All on the Silly Willy with an Uncle Neil teaser.   100% of the fish caught on the teaser.     Pompano were a mix of small to medium.   Friday there was one really large one..

I would expect this action to accelerate.   I am hoping for a year similar to last year.    Last year the numbers ended up:  30 pompano per trip.     Well above the best of any other year.     They were also excellent size last year.

Lots of opportunities coming up to see if it is getting better.     My schedule happened late this year.     What I usually have in March I’ve got going on right now.

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

Research:   Not successful.     I did not find a match.

J.A. Veil
    Participant

Here is a photo of the mystery fish — the one I got today was about 12″ long.  Based on reviewing information on the FWC website for jacks and pompanos I think it is a blue runner — Neil does not agree.  There were raised scutes along the sides and in front of the tail.  Blue runners can get up to 4 lb and 20″ but most are much smaller.  

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

Excellent.  A reply from a guy that was there.

I have caught blue runners my entire life.      Maybe it is true, I just never caught one this big.

It might make sense.   I catch the small ones there regularly.

I don’t know

colonole1
    Participant

Sure looks like a blue runner to me. If that is a 12 incher, Ive caught a ton of those–mainly in the panhandle. Up to maybe 16-17″.

FishingDad10
    Participant

Looks like a blue runner to me , usually catch them out a little bit but can be caught anywhere.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.