Big trout on topwater lures

Home Forums Your Fishing Reports Big trout on topwater lures

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  J.A. Veil 3 months ago.

• Author
    ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

Started out a nice day.   The wind came up pretty high.

Started jigging up half a dozen species.

Then to shallow grass.   Mirrolures for big trout.     Three over 20 inches the rest middle to upper slot fish.     Probably caught 20 fish on topwaters.

The kind of topwater action it seems like we have in April.

J.A. Veil
    Participant

I don’t throw topwater very often, but enjoyed it today.  After watching Neil haul in several large trout, I caught my first topwater trout of the year.  The funny thing is that when I reeled the fish to the side of the kayak, I saw that I had caught two trout at the same time — one on each treble hook.

A few minutes later I got a larger trout.  I would have enjoyed fishing the topwater lure longer, but the popping motion wore out my shoulders.  I took several Mirrolures home with me to practice on topwater stripers in my home Chesapeake Bay waters.

This morning I ended up catching trout using four different fishing techniques:  topwater, casting jigheads and soft plastic tails, jigging with Neil’s pompano jig setup, and trolling the soft plastics as I paddled between fishing locations.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.