Facts and feelings~

Home Forums "Top Picks" Facts and feelings~

This topic contains 47 replies, has 23 voices, and was last updated by ntaylor ntaylor 5 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

( The Spaniard )
    Participant

Anyone hearing any scientific data on spill.. What is has done and is doing to the marine life and environment? I have been researching it pretty heavily since it happened and this thing is going to decimate our Gulf waters, as well as a lot of the Atlantic. Not to mention all the wildlife. This thing reaches far beyond our shores. I was just wondering what other might know and how they too feel over this? I honestly am not here to stir up any political differences or anything else. I am only here as a member for years on this site to learn and in some small way, make a positive difference in peoples lives. I just wanted to hear from everyone on what they know and how they feel because honestly, my heart is breaking over this. Thanks for your time.

( The Spaniard )
    Participant

Also, how is it effecting the fishing industry in Gulf thus far and in years to come? Should we eat the seafood? Lastly, what about our local water, is there still a future for Gulf Coast captains in fishing industry?

Wes
    Participant

You know, it is crazy. The oil is still out there but its not on the surface anymore. Whether its coating the bottom or suspended in the water column is left to be discovered. USF seems to think it is suspended in plumes. Don’t believe the news that the oil is gone just because it is not on the surface anymore… also don’t believe its no longer a threat to our fisheries just because its not washing up on the shores….

John
    Participant

Also heard on the news today that bp is scaling back the clean up effort.

Dale

I honestly believe we do not know. We just don’t know.

mike

Hit up kicker99…its his fault

gulfscuba
    Participant

Don’t believe everything you read.

Can someone show me pictures of dead fish or any serious marine life that has been harmed besides the dumb pelicans?

Here’s what you need to do, sell most of your stuff and send the money to WWF or any of the other NGO’s that are pumping the issue, they will gladly help out and fix everything and make it right.
    Or as Joe Bassardi said, looks like mother nature is taking care of things – your choice as always

BP will be making some upgraded claims and statements Today August 4, 2010. There will be statements of the disbursement and diminishing of the massive oil pockets. They plan to go ahead with the process to make the permanent cap on Deep water Horizon even though the relief wells are not in place and operating. (That could be a major mistake) BP plans to scale back their clean-up process starting today. It will be on your National News networks today and most likely excerpts will be discussed on your local TV stations. Tune in so you can be informed.

Billy Wheat

Dan Laur

fishmaster892 wrote:

Can someone show me pictures of dead fish or any serious marine life that has been harmed besides the dumb pelicans?

YES – but I am not going to waste my time. Come on there is oil in the marshes, and dead turtles, whales, etc…………

PS – I think Tongster was right this (while bad) is not as bad as many have predicted. The bacteria in the gulf are taking care of a lot of it. They now say it will not get to the Keys little own NJ.

Even if is not as bad as it could have been there is still enough reason to hang BP, Transocean, Deep Water from a rotten apple tree. JMHO

Chuck Starrett
    Participant

I don’t think we will understand the full impact of the oil spill for years to come, but the President had some good news on it this morning.

“The long battle to stop the Gulf Coast oil spill “is finally close to coming to an end,” President Obama proclaimed today in a speech to the AFL-CIO.

In addition to stopping the gusher, most of the oil that leaked into the Gulf of Mexico has been captured or dispersed, Obama said.

The clean-up is not over, Obama said, including help to business people who have been hurt by the spill that began back in April.”

NorthernFisher wrote: [QUOTE=fishmaster892]

YES – but I am not going to waste my time. Come on there is oil in the marshes, and dead turtles, whales, etc…………

PS – I think Tongster was right this (while bad) is not as bad as many have predicted. The bacteria in the gulf are taking care of a lot of it. They now say it will not get to the Keys little own NJ.

Even if is not as bad as it could have been there is still enough reason to hang BP, Transocean, Deep Water from a rotten apple tree. JMHO
    [/QUOTE]

But there has been no proof that oil was the cause of death? They could have died from old age or diease. And I said “FISH” no whales or turtles.

Flat_Top wrote: I don’t think we will understand the full impact of the oil spill for years to come, but the President had some good news on it this morning.

“The long battle to stop the Gulf Coast oil spill “is finally close to coming to an end,” President Obama proclaimed today in a speech to the AFL-CIO.

In addition to stopping the gusher, most of the oil that leaked into the Gulf of Mexico has been captured or dispersed, Obama said.

The clean-up is not over, Obama said, including help to business people who have been hurt by the spill that began back in April.”

You really gunna listen to anything he says?

Josh

Mr. Fishmaster-
    For being your age you seem to know everything, maybe that is because of your many years of wisdom…

I have my own theory on this, and will share.. But I think this thing was never as bad as it was sold, and used to shake down a corporation for 20billion..

I still dont get how people think Oil will hover in a water column. Very few laws in physics, but specific gravity is one. Oil will rise. Its simple.

What if, just what it, what you saw on tv was 1/10th of what the govt said? And most of it was a mix of methane/water, and some crude. Then the govt pumps it up, media uses it to sell more ad space (take a look at the earnings on news corp this quarter). Then we shake down BP for 20billion to rebuild the same place destroyed by Katrina.. Hows that for a theory?

Dan Laur

“or any serious marine life that has been harmed besides the dumb pelicans?”

So were the sea gulls that died name Gertrude and Heathcliff? (Sorry you likely do not remember Red Skelton).

eric h

largest spill in US history, losses of thousands of careers, unsafe business practices and negligence leading upto and causing the disaster. And we have the nerve to “shake down BP”. Why do you even still live on the gulf coast?

TerryInFlorida
    TerryInFlorida
    Participant

I don’t get your post really. Are you a doubting Thomas?

fishmaster892 wrote: [QUOTE=NorthernFisher][QUOTE=fishmaster892]

[/QUOTE]

But there has been no proof that oil was the cause of death? They could have died from old age or diease. And I said “FISH” no whales or turtles.

[/QUOTE]

TerryInFlorida wrote: I don’t get your post really. Are you a doubting Thomas?

[QUOTE=fishmaster892][QUOTE=NorthernFisher][QUOTE=fishmaster892]

[/QUOTE]

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

No I’m saying there is no proof that any of the animals washing to shore had anything to do with the oil.

Josh

Wow.
    How do you KNOW, without a doubt that there was a gazillion barrels of oil? Was the well measuring the outflow?

I think your reaction to my comment clear states that your assumption of what you see and hear is factual.

How can you extrapolate the data behind the tourism figures, and find the direct correlation? You cant. What a bad economy doesn’t cause tourism to go down – get real.

Why do I live in the gulf? Cause its my home.

My point was that if we take FACTS only, not percieved facts, this could have been a scenario.

No reason to be rude. Silly keyboard warriors..

largest spill in US history, losses of thousands of careers, unsafe business practices and negligence leading upto and causing the disaster. And we have the nerve to “shake down BP”. Why do you even still live on the gulf coast?

TerryInFlorida
    TerryInFlorida
    Participant

fishmaster892 wrote:

No I’m saying there is no proof that any of the animals washing to shore had anything to do with the oil.

Yes I understand but what proof would be sufficient for you? Doubt could be placed on almost anything short of individual autopsy reports on each and every animal, realistically you could even place doubt on those findings. So what would pass by you as being death do to contamination from this oil spill, I just find it interesting to know.

Do you not agree that there has been death and suffering of wildlife due to this oil spill or do you believe there was none? What is your opinion or do you have one?

TerryInFlorida
    TerryInFlorida
    Participant

bearohs wrote: Mr. Fishmaster-
    For being your age you seem to know everything, maybe that is because of your many years of wisdom…

I have my own theory on this, and will share.. But I think this thing was never as bad as it was sold, and used to shake down a corporation for 20billion..

I still dont get how people think Oil will hover in a water column. Very few laws in physics, but specific gravity is one. Oil will rise. Its simple.

What if, just what it, what you saw on tv was 1/10th of what the govt said? And most of it was a mix of methane/water, and some crude. Then the govt pumps it up, media uses it to sell more ad space (take a look at the earnings on news corp this quarter). Then we shake down BP for 20billion to rebuild the same place destroyed by Katrina.. Hows that for a theory?

Dude, I’m with ya. Why stop there? How do we know if there ever really was a Katrina? Maybe that was all staged by cinematography and the govt just wanted to push more funds for the war in iraq? Wait, crap… What if there was never any real war in Iraq and all the soldiers that the govt said they sent to the middle east never went, hmmm, wait, then where did they go? I will have to ask a few cousins and nephews about that one, cause they went somewhere? Wtf?

Mark

I have family that have been directly effected by the spill. My uncle runs a 55ft charter boat out of the panhandle. He can no longer fish. The spill will likely cost him everything. Everything. House, boat etc.. This is a fact.
    He just was able to get “hired” to take people out on his boat to look for oil, but that little bit of money will not last. Plus, how long will the need spotter boats??
    My uncle is usually booked at least a year out in advance. He was one of the, if not the busiest offshore captains in Florida. Now, he is no longer able to take people fishing. There are generations of famalies that will no longer have places to live in the panhandle due to this mess. Litigation will likely take decades. Far too long to save some peoples houses and means of living.

John J Roche

Blue crabs hint at long-term oil impacts (08/09/2010)

Oil droplets have been found in blue crab larvae, and scientists are concerned the discovery means the oil spill will have a widespread impact on the marine food web for years to come.

“It would suggest the oil has reached a position where it can start moving up the food chain instead of just hanging in the water,” said Bob Thomas, a biologist at Loyola University in New Orleans. “Something likely will eat those oiled larvae … and then that animal will be eaten by something bigger and so on.”

Blue crab are a key indictor of ocean habitat health, so marine biologists regularly collect specimens. Since the spill began, oil has been found in many of the crab larvae, said Harriet Perry, a biologist with the University of Southern Mississippi’s Gulf Coast Research Laboratory.

“In my 42 years of studying crabs, I’ve never seen this,” Perry said.

Biologists said it is too soon to tell how much of the crab population will be affected or killed by the oil spill. Louisiana fishermen are worried what will happen to their $300 million industry.

“If they’d let us go out and fish today, we’d probably catch crabs,” said fisherman Glen Despaux. “But what’s going to happen next year, if this water is polluted and it’s killing the eggs and the larvae? I think it’s going to be a long-term problem” (John Flesher, AP/San Francisco Chronicle, Aug. 9). — LP

( The Spaniard )
    Participant

Thank those with logical and factually based comments, I really appreciate it. I hope that we can still have a thriving fishery in Florida and elsewhere. I also hope that the marine life and wildlife do not suffer anymore than they have but I am skeptical.

Todd Krohn

As Tough as it is to Admit, the Damage to the Gulf is Severe

It’s Going to Take a Very Long Time to Return to “Normal”

Maybe a Longer Term Perspective Will Help Ease Your Mind,

Geologic Time & Mother Nature Heals All Wounds,

Our Planet has Fully Recovered from Massive Impacts from Outer Space,

Just Ask the Dinosaurs GFC

eric h

George Carlin put it best GFC.

Besides, there is nothing wrong with the planet. Nothing wrong with the planet. The planet is fine. The PEOPLE are fu****. Difference. Difference. The planet is fine. Compared to the people, the planet is doing great. Been here four and a half billion years. Did you ever think about the arithmetic? The planet has been here four and a half billion years. We’ve been here, what, a hundred thousand? Maybe two hundred thousand? And we’ve only been engaged in heavy industry for a little over two hundred years. Two hundred years versus four and a half billion. And we have the CONCEIT to think that somehow we’re a threat? That somehow we’re gonna put in jeopardy this beautiful little blue-green ball that’s just a-floatin’ around the sun?

The planet has been through a lot worse than us. Been through all kinds of things worse than us. Been through earthquakes, volcanoes, plate tectonics, continental drift, solar flares, sun spots, magnetic storms, the magnetic reversal of the poles…hundreds of thousands of years of bombardment by comets and asteroids and meteors, worlwide floods, tidal waves, worldwide fires, erosion, cosmic rays, recurring ice ages…And we think some plastic bags, and some aluminum cans are going to make a difference? The planet…the planet…the planet isn’t going anywhere. WE ARE!

Spencer

I guess it must be a coincidence that all these fish, dolphins, turtles, birds and other wildlife are washing up on shore dead…. also a coincidence that they’re covered in oil.

eric h

careful seeinred dont want to be a “silly keyboard warrior” and let proof impact your decisions

Spencer

But wait, there’s more…

They may call me ‘seeinred’ but I don’t see any red in that last picture.

Jeff Paul

Real or not, perception tends to be reality. My father (retired military, which is a good thing for him) and my younger brother (not retired from anything, not a good thing for him) have a pool and Jacuzzi service business up in the pan handle, Port St. Joe area. They have been in business for over 15 years.

Their bread and butter through this economy has been the rental properties they take care of. Most home owners they had as customers have lost their homes prior to the oil “issue” but the rental properties have kept them going. This year, 75% of the rental properties have stopped or slowed their business. Impacting them in a large, very large way. They have documented a claim and have filed it. With letters of proof from rental companies stating cancellations due to the oil “issue” (real or not??). Ask my younger brother if this is real. My father still works, takes no $$’s from the business, so my younger brother can still make some sense of a living. He, they, can’t keep this up much longer. The oil “issue” will most likely be the breaking point for them. This is a fact. Due to the cancellations of rental income, the rentals are now on the edge of foreclosure. This oil “issue” is far larger than just the fishing, which they both enjoy when they can.

Just my 2 cents….but a factual 2 cents.

Spencer

Rob

replying here out of my better judgement. I’ll address the situations as they’ve been presented.

First, facts AND feelings. This very thread seems to be flawed in the situation that someone exclaims their feelings and they’re flagged by the very author of thread as being “illogical” and specifically left out of the appreciation of posts.
    Feelings by and large are not logical they are presented (for the process of argument) by heart, thoughts would be by the brain. So if one wants both he should expect both “logical” and “illogical” explanations of the situation. The process of calling one logical and one not logical are not the problem, the problem is asking for both and only thanking one side. Not being personal only saying that it screams AGENDA.

Second, when someone asks for proof he is not given it. Only recently has someone stepped up and showed pictures and if the original question was mine I would have more, but since it was not I do not. He was told all types of different things and struck down as being young or being a “know it all”. If someone has a problem with the question than that needs to be presented. We all lose when we stop answering questions and start striking down others for just being “stupid”. I do not agree with what was said by the poster but I do believe it deserves response and here is mine.
    Yes it is fact that animals have died from this oil spill. The said poster is arguing (or seemingly) on the condition that no one can produce any “proof” that any animal has died from the oil spill. I would first have to ask, what do you consider proof? The poster has to argue against every animal that dies in the near future is not becuase of the oil spill where I would just have to present overwhelming evidence ONE did. Because I can tell you if any filter feeders are affected in anyway what-so-ever than an animal has died. At least one. Said poster asked if animals have died and did not even specify whether directly or indirectly. Furthermore, the broadness of the word “animal” is so wide he surely cannot defend this position.

Lastly, the regression of this forum. Another comes with a position that isn’t defined by his thoughts or his feelings but rather (and as he specifically stated) a possibility. I wouldn’t particularly agree with this position either as the poster said, a mere possibility. Telling someone their wrong because it sounds proposterous is not enough. If someone brings an “illogical” argument it must be argued and ultimately struck down by logic otherwise it is preverbial b!tching and gets no one anywhere. Couple the striking down by community does no good for anyone except for one’s ego. The ego is the hardest thing to please because it keeps asking for more. Trust me I have a big one and it didn’t get there by making sense. Sarcasm is no way to treat any argument because it is trying to pass off the argument as absurd and not worthy of a rebuttal. Every question needs to be attempted to be answered, if not it must be admitted that an answer has not been accomplished yet. All parties involved must divert from their path and find one that can either
    a) answer the question/situation with logical debate
    b) prove one or both answers wrong leading to further investigation
    Now that I’ve said that I’ll explain why I think that wildly unlikely idea is such an idea. It would take far more people than any one government to shake down any company and definately one of more than a couple years.
    This would have to be a conspiracy of monstrous proportion. It would take the Obama’s, Bush’s, and Clinton’s to have been pouring in on this to make it happen as a “shakedown”. You would have to couple that with the fact that Clinton made sure no oil company would ever have to pay more than 76 million dollars for clean up (or something similar to that). Bush took the position of the oil companies. That leaves Obama. Did Obama put pressure on BP? Sure he did and it is the only thing that he did that I somewhat I agree with. I don’t agree that its going to the right places but that’s a different story not for a fishing forum.

Now I’ll tell you my thoughts that started with feelings and were deciphered through with logical explanation. I am not savvy to anything that anyone else doesn’t know. What happened was carelessness and as a business owner I understand the foreman’s and others who were under pressure to get things done putting safety to the wind. They played with fire and they got burned. Problem is they didn’t only get burned they burned all of us too. They knew if they didn’t make a significant effort than they were never going to do business in America and not because any government but because American’s would not have bought stock or supplies from them or anything they have to deal with. We are a very diligent people and the fact of the matter is if they wouldn’t have tried they would have lost one of their largest markets so Obama attempted to put his stamp on it and get 20 billion up front.
    He’s as much of the problem as the answer. Obama had an agenda and it wasn’t “green”. He didn’t care about the MMS before it and he’s in large part seperated himself from the spill altogether if possible afterward. Largely the media did what they do and made it a big deal for two weeks from what I can remember and then Lindsay Lohan went to jail so it was old news, “oil kept pouring out, the sea was black, sh!t happened, and we moved on” seemed to be the message in the third week of serious coverage.
    We were given the shaft is my thought. It was and is bad and we will learn nothing from it because we actually listen to these stupid talking heads on TV and radio rather than taking what they say into context and leading us to our own conclusions. Animals died, lots of them. The ecosystem might have permanately been affected for as long as we live. 2 weeks of coverage? This is an absolute injustice to the people of the gulf coast because of political sides. We just passed another 26 billion dollars for the “teachers”, what about the gulf? Not one politician has been vocal enough WITHOUT an agenda. We are fighting our own battle and my thoughts are we are forgotten now. There’s a problem that deserves logical debate.
    I don’t know nor do any of us know how Mother Nature will take care of this but we just know it will. Thank God for what a forgiving world He gave us. Remember it and try to follow the track of what’s happening and make a logical conclusion. Feelings are very important they usually put us on a path it is the logic that takes us to the end.

When you ask for both you will get both, don’t be upset you should take both and rather than using sarcasm, use thought provoking solution.

Keyboard warriors, I like that. Bearoh’s I feel sorry for the guy who want’s to try to bring the keyboard in real life to you. BJJ, I have no desire to get my arm broke.

And just so everyone knows, I can’t beat you up and my Dad won’t beat up your Dad either.

Josh

Groupershooter – great post brother. I think this hits the nail on the head, and is the prime issue I have with our society..

It was and is bad and we will learn nothing from it because we actually listen to these stupid talking heads on TV and radio rather than taking what they say into context and leading us to our own conclusions.

And I am not a violent guy. I wouldnt be the one to break your arm. I take BJJ for fun, and competition, instead of going to a traditional gym lifting boring metals. This year marks my Bachelors Degree in it, 4 years of training 3-4 days a week. It is a lifestyle, and a family..

Josh

And I should attempt to clarify my apparently outrageous statement.

My thought was not that people are not negatively impacted, etc.

My point was what if. No one knows how much was leaked etc. No doubt there is oil in LA, and that compounded by the 24/7 News, caused tourism and other industrys to tank..

I know business have been impacted – that is a fact. But is that because the press, or the oil.. I know what I think..

Chuck Starrett
    Participant

bearohs wrote:
    I know business have been impacted – that is a fact. But is that because the press, or the oil.. I know what I think..

I recently spoke with someone in Ottawa Canada and the subject of the oil spill came up. He thought all of Florida’s beaches were covered in thick black crude. I asked why and he said it was on the news. When I told him that some beaches in the panhandle area had some oil and that it has been cleaned up and our beaches are as white and clean as ever he was totally surprise. You tell me what was worst for the tourism, actual oil or media coverage?

Spencer

Flat_Top wrote: You tell me what was worst for the tourism, actual oil or media coverage?

Uhh…. both!

( The Spaniard )
    Participant

The photos say it all! I also am thankful that God gave us such an incredible planet to live on but it is our responsibility to take care of it. I like your post Goldfish,” just ask the Dinosaurs.” Little did the Dinosaurs realize that they would also be massive to this planet in the 21 century. All I know is, my heart goes out to all those that are and will suffer from this oil spill.. including ALL animals and those feelings are based on the facts. My prayer is, that somehow someway, we can make things better for everyone and everything concerned and that we learn from this and never repeat the same mistakes. Just look at Chinas oil spill.. we have to do things better for our planet! I am quite sure if God gives us such gifts, he would have us to ultimately take care of them right? God Bless America always…

JOHN BATY

I dont pretend to be a scientist. But I have friends in Lousiana
    and they are definately suffering from the oil.There livelyhood
    depends on fishing and right now there is now and they have recieved very little help from anyone. I hope they are someday fairley compensated and that 1 day they can return to fishing.
    I think this is a very long term problem that only time will tell.
    Just as the Snook in tampa bay area.
    God always has a plan and it will always be fulfilled.
    God takes the bad and uses it for good. Now we have our eyes open
    to at lest some of the problems that could 1 day be a over whelming factor in all our lives.
    God Bless

( The Spaniard )
    Participant

Very true John. I can feel~ where you are coming from my brother. God Bless America!!!

John J Roche

Undersea plume was size of Manhattan — report (08/19/2010)

Allison Winter, E&E reporter

A massive plume of oil trapped deep underwater in the Gulf of Mexico may not have broken down as rapidly as some researchers predicted, according to new research published today.

Appearing in the journal Science, the survey — the first published, peer-reviewed study of the subsurface plume — traced an invisible, finely diffused swath of oil nearly the size of Manhattan. Researchers also found there was not an “appreciable” surge in bacteria growth and oil consumption in the plume.

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution scientists traced under-surface oil that stretched a mile wide and snaked at least 20 miles southwest of the crippled BP PLC well. The plume may have stretched even farther, but the scientists had to cut short their late-June research journey in the face of hurricane threats before they found the end of the plume.

To track the 3,000-foot-deep plume, the researchers used a robot submarine that recorded information about the water’s biological and chemical composition. They also gathered water samples and made deepwater measurements using instruments cabled to a ship.

The study’s release comes in the midst of battle over just how much oil from the massive spill is left in the Gulf, what the long-term effects of the spill might be on the ecosystem and the accuracy of recent federal estimates that the oil may be quickly dissipating.

A team of government and independent scientists released a report earlier this month that estimated nearly three-fourths of the oil had been captured, skimmed, burned, dispersed or broken down by natural processes. But other scientists have questioned those numbers. University of Georgia scientists said this week that 79 percent of the oil has not yet been recovered and remains a threat to the ecosystem.

Today’s report found the spill did not fuel an “appreciable” surge in bacteria growth, a finding that could indicate there is more oil below the surface. But the Woods Hole researchers sought during a Washington news briefing to deflect questions about the overall oil budget, noting their paper only shows the existence of a plume but makes no conclusions about the amount of oil in the Gulf or in the plume itself.

“What we have done is an estimate — science is incremental,” said Richard Camilli, a lead scientist on the Woods Hole team. “We don’t know how much oil was in it or the plume length. … Later, we may see if this was a penny in a very big checking account.”

He added, “We have to balance patience with urgency.”

At best, the study is a snapshot that reveals the migrations of oil that had escaped from BP’s Macondo wellhead and diluted into deep water over five days. The study does not speak to current conditions in the Gulf, and researchers are uncertain how the environment has shifted since BP plugged the leak a month ago.

But the study does gather the first hard data about the plume.

During a House hearing today, Ian MacDonald, an oceanography professor at Florida State University, called the report “some of the best science I’ve seen yet out of this process.”

Reporters Paul Voosen and Katie Howell contributed.

John J Roche

We may never know the extent of the damage, or see the end.

Oil is affecting ‘food web’ in key spawning area, researchers say (08/18/2010)

Marine organisms that commercially important fish eat are being poisoned by oil in vital spawning grounds, according to preliminary results from researchers at the University of South Florida.

Researchers found droplets of oil mixed in with sediments at an important underwater canyon. They described it as a “constellation of stars at the scale of microdroplets.” Some of the underwater canyons, such as the DeSoto Canyon, supply nutrient rich waters to the Continental Shelf.

Microscopic phytoplankton, organisms at the base of the food chain, are in poor health in these areas, said David Hollander, chief scientist on a research vessel in the Gulf.

“So, indeed, the waters have a level of toxicity that needs to be recognized, and I think these were some of the first indicators that the base of the food web — the bacteria and the phytoplankton — may be affected,” Hollander said (Sara Kennedy, Los Angeles Times, Aug. 18). — GV

( The Spaniard )
    Participant

Wow.. thanks for the latest information guys.. I really appreciate it! If the small organisms are effected in a negative way, it stands to reason that eventually it will carry to the bigger ones and therefore really effect the whole food chain. We all would LOVE to think and make the best out of this spill but the reality is that it is already devastating many of the marine lives and will continue to. I know that they say it is not effecting our seafood and that they have contained most of it but honestly, how could they? I know from reports that very little has been contained as they want us to believe. Why are we so willing to overlook and not see how bad this spill really is? Is it because we as fishermen/women don’t want to ever believe this will effect us? It’s as if more people than not are actually buying what the media tells us about this spill. Have we not learned by now after all the lies that the media cannot be trusted? Look how often they lie about things just to get a story or how they deceive us to make us believe things are not so bad. It honestly astounds me how easily people choose to forget things that are happening right under there noses and especially things that effect us all. I know people do not like to dwell on the bad and would rather look for the positive but there are also times we have to all get involved for the betterment of us all. I feel I am barking up the wrong tree but at least I am barking still. grrrr

Dan Laur

“but there are also times we have to all get involved for the betterment of us all.”

So just what do you want us to do?

John J Roche

Here’s something you can particpate in. That is all I think Yakattack is asking, get involved somehow, someway.

NOTICE OF A PUBLIC LISTENING SESSION ON THE PRESIDENT’S AMERICA’S GREAT OUTDOORS INITIATIVE

Please join senior representatives from the U.S. Department of the Interior (DOI), and the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) for a public listening session and discussions in Florida on conservation, recreation, and reconnecting people to the outdoors. The session will be held August 26 from 3:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Osceola Heritage Park in Kissimmee, Florida.

This past April, at the White House Conference on America’s Great Outdoors, President Obama signed a memorandum establishing the America’s Great Outdoors Initiative to develop a conservation agenda worthy of the 21st century and to reconnect Americans with our great outdoors. The President understands that protecting and restoring the lands and waters that we love and reconnecting people to the outdoors must happen at the local level.

Therefore, President Obama directed the principal leaders of the America’s Great Outdoors Initiative to travel across the country to listen and learn from people directly involved in finding grassroots solutions to conserve our lands, waterways, historical and cultural resources, and reconnect Americans to the outdoors. The President indicated that the sessions should engage the full range of interested groups, including tribal leaders, farmers and ranchers, sportsmen, community park groups, foresters, youth groups, businesspeople, educators, State and local governments, recreation and conservation groups, and others.

This listening session in Florida offers an opportunity for us to engage in a conversation about the solutions you and your community have created to address the challenges and opportunities facing land and water conservation; for engaging people in outdoor activities; and in restoring and conserving our vital natural and cultural resources.

The public listening session and discussions on August 26 provide an opportunity for the leaders of the America’s Great Outdoors Initiative to hear from you and other voices in the region about solutions for building a 21st century conservation and recreation agenda and for reconnecting people with the outdoors.

Please join us. Here are the details:

Listening Session and Discussion Information

When: Thursday, August 26, 3:30- 6:30 pm

Where: Osceola Heritage Park Exhibition Building
    1901 Chief Osceola Trail
    Kissimmee, Florida 34744

Who: Senior Washington, D.C. and local leadership from Department of the Interior, the U.S. Department of Agriculture and other Federal agencies will be present to hear your thoughts and to participate in a conversation with you about America’s Great Outdoors.

Please Register: This event is free and open to the public. For planning purposes it would be helpful if you would pre-register by Friday, August 20 by sending an email to AGOOrlando@fws.gov (or fax 404- 679- 4082) with your name, the name of the organization with which you are affiliated, if any, your telephone number and email address. We will make every effort to accommodate everyone.

In the event you are unable to participate in person, please submit your comments and ideas via the America’s Great Outdoors website at http://www.doi.gov/americasgreatoutdoors/.

If you have questions, please call Veronica McClurkin at (404) 679-7171. We look forward to your participation – please join us!

Joanna Webb, Refuge Ranger, U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
    Pelican Island National Wildlife Refuge Complex
    1339 20th Street
    Vero Beach, Florida 32960
    Phone: (772) 562-3909 x258
    Fax: (772) 778-2568

( The Spaniard )
    Participant

You were right and thank you Stumpmaster! I was only saying just do whatever you can to help out in any capacity. Thanks again for all the facts and feelings that have been shared here. God Bless America land of the free~ and BRAVE!!!

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

Back from the time we also lost Mel.  The oil spill.   It is now part of history.   The effects probably aren’t all gone.    The resilience of the environment is pretty impressive.    This was a massive spill.     This was just bad.   No way around it.   We don’t want more of these things to happen.     Tough one.   We need oil.    Oil is part of the earth.

What will the future hold?   Gas prices jumped 25 cents yesterday.   I still haven’t heard why.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.