bongo.ezoicns.com

I am So P*ssed off!

Home Forums Offshore Fishing Forum I am So P*ssed off!

This topic contains 19 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  LizzyPoege 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Steve

wow…… wow

lostsurfer
    lostsurfer
    Participant

One of our members works as diver on those rigs. They’re loaded with fish. I’m just wondering why they don’t just cut them at a depth where they’re not a navigation hazard and leave what’s left alone? Wish we had a couple in our area. On a flight back from L.A. a while back, I was astonished to see just how many rigs are out there.

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

lostsurfer wrote: One of our members works as diver on those rigs. They’re loaded with fish. I’m just wondering why they don’t just cut them at a depth where they’re not a navigation hazard and leave what’s left alone? Wish we had a couple in our area. On a flight back from L.A. a while back, I was astonished to see just how many rigs are out there.

Cost?

It’s probably cheaper to destroy them than do exact modifications.

This one would be like creating that dependence on the power plants for manatees and then shutting off power during the coldest two day span every winter. Kinda.

Kahuna

They need to bring in the bandit boyz on standby once the explosion goes off. They can trade in the hoist for a good dip net. Don’t count the undersize against the IFQ.

j1231f
    j1231f
    Participant

Just curious. Why couldnt they set off a small charge first to scare the fish away before detonating the large explosives?

bo gorham
    Participant

Good lord – just think, they will next say that the fish kill from rig demolition removed 100,000 fish from the water, therefore our season needs to be set at 17 days this summer. Opps – i forgot – Louisianna said the hell with the federal regs and are goinging their own way – we lose another 10 days of fishing. So the majic number is now a 7 day recreational season. If we play our cards right, the economy will rebound a bit more so we have a few more boats on the water. If that happens we can get the Rec Season down to 0 days.

I think I am starting to get the hang of this math now!

Bo

fishindad
    fishindad
    Participant

Unbelievable. I feel like I am in the twilight zone watching this.

jimsea

Snapper, what snapper, I don’t see any snapper. If taken to court, NOAA will argue that statistically, they don’t exist.

But practically speaking, these fish should be removed, counted and taken to a fish house for processing with the profit to be used for a good cause………not wasted. Just think, these fish can be counted to an exact number without resorting to a mumbo jumbo stat model. Think of the value of knowing what a single rig has living on it, applying those numbers to remaining rigs in the Gulf. And this is just ARS on rig platforms not including all the other natural structure out there holding ARS.

………..talk about a wasted opportunity.

It was bad sitting in the Gulf Council meeting with them telling us how few days we have to fish and no one would discuss this video. Bob Shipp that was interviewed is chairman of the reef fish advisory panel. What I did hear doing a break was that these fish are never counted on the rigs or artificial reef because Alabama has so many reefs over 1700 rigs and reefs listed. The more I sit and listern the crazier some of this stuff seems.

crabbyfiddler
    crabbyfiddler

Why not just sue the Feds over this. It is a wanton waste of the fishery resource. I defy them to characterize it any other way.
    There are probably at least a dozen ways they could have scared the fish off of there to a safer distance before they blew the big charges.
    There must be some real brainiacs calling the shots. And they wonder why we anglers don’t trust them??

We are pointing the finger at the wrong people. For once this isnt the fault of NMFS. The “idle iron” program was not created, endorsed, or supported by NMFS (to my knowledge, if you know otherwise please post it). They actually have very little to do with it.

The coast guard, USGS, and congress are the ones who deserve the finger pointing. NMFS would be a great ally in this, but I think we would be barking up the wrong tree there.

Those fish definitely should have been allowed to be harvested by someone, but harvesting those fish is a drop in the bucket to the hundreds of thousands of pounds that could have lived on that rig for the next thirty years.

Does anyone else think its ridiculous to spend money on an artificial reef program and then blow up artificial reefs in the same area?

The oil companies should be required to build their rigs to an environmental specification that would allow them to remain with limited environmental impacts as part of their USGS lease. The environmental impacts of some of the materials left on the rig, or they were constructed from, are the only semi-valid arguments I have seen for removing them…even then it seems fairly insignificant compared to the impact of destroying them.

Bo,
    Just remember that if Florida says “to hell with federal regs” like LA did we get exactly ZERO days of fishing in federal waters for ARS in the eastern gulf, or are you advocating us violating the federal season because we dont agree with it and fishing in federal waters anyway?

There are obvious problems and obvious solutions, but not obvious ways to make NMFS us those solutions. Simply pretending they don’t exist doesn’t help a single thing. It doesn’t fix any of the problems, and doesn’t do us any good.

jimsea

AnotherKeeper wrote:
    Just remember that if Florida says “to hell with federal regs” like LA did we get exactly ZERO days of fishing in federal waters for ARS in the eastern gulf, or are you advocating us violating the federal season because we dont agree with it…….

The amount of days of FL ARS fed waters fishing is already so small that it might as well be zero. So, whether the State capitulates to the Feds or not is inconsequential to us eastern Gulf boys and would likely be a boon to the guys in the panhandle. I am not so selfish as to not be happy for them if they get a significant ARS season.

Mangrove snapper are more plentiful, more of a challenge/fun to catch, taste just as good as ARS and I can keep 10 per day in Fed waters. I got no problem with letting the panhandle get their ARS in close.

Now grouper………that’s a different story.

Jim

That may be a good trade off let the panhandle guys have ARS and we will take the gags in close here.

jimsea

MotherOcean wrote: Jim That may be a good trade off let the panhandle guys have ARS and we will take the gags in close here.

You’re right Buddy…….when you have nothing but lemons, it’s time to make some lemonade.

bo gorham
    Participant

AnotherKeeper wrote: Bo,
    Just remember that if Florida says “to hell with federal regs” like LA did we get exactly ZERO days of fishing in federal waters for ARS in the eastern gulf, or are you advocating us violating the federal season because we dont agree with it and fishing in federal waters anyway?

Neither – I am just venting and continued to be disappointed with the non-sense i am hearing from these folks. Red snapper is not our fight here on the eastern gulf – but the decisions and the precidence made here on the snapper decisions effect how all fisheries are managed.

It is easy to throw a bird at the feds, and encourage lawlessness, but face it – there needs to be centralized governance and authority over a shared fishery. There is no doubt that our fisheries are really getting in better shape, and that is a direct result on a clamp down on harvest – and regulatory control. The unfortunate thing though is the laws we have to work with Magnusson-Stevens, and the buracracies they create open the door to outside (PACs) and deep pocket (Corporate) influences that threaten to shut us out or commoditize our fisheries resources. Who suffers – we do, the private individuals, and the small businesses that value the fisheries and industry so dearly.

So yup Tom, I am guilty of a sarcastic rant from time to time, but stay committed in an attempt to be reasonable, open minded – but hold the fisheries managers, and politicians accountable to do their jobs and look out for the good of the fishery AND it’s stakeholders.

Bo

mark hartley
    mark hartley
    Participant

I wish Florida would give the Feds the bird, I have a place in the Panhandle, I hope to retire there, it has Big American Reds in sight of the beach, and a great near shore artificial reef system.

Thats the problem with democracy, we only vote for things that help us personally, and don’t really care about everybody else.

Good or bad we have a republic so all our power is granted to our representatives, who’s votes are auctioned off to money/special interests, beautiful.

tonydreno
    Blocked

Hi guys

I enjoy composing my synthwave music and recently I bumped into a very topical issue, namely how cryptocurrency is going to transform the music industry. I have decided to put together an article on the subject as I would like to inform the musicians and public at large just how cryptocurrencies can be a gamechanger in this field. I would like to donate this article to you for publication on your blog.

I have saved the article in my Google drive:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1xX35t28GlE6wDomFAEvsPc1PqN3fp8ka?usp=sharing

I did not have the time to find any images so I would be grateful if you could find and add some. I have also added a little blurb about myself.

I hope you and your readers will enjoy reading my article.

Have an awesome day!

Regards
    Tony

LizzyPoege
    Blocked

I have a directory of over 39,000 emails of vape stores (online and brick-and-mortar), CBD internet sites, e-liquid labels, vape wholesale and e-juice distro corporations, vape event organisers, vape media, [url=https://theeliquidboutique.co.uk/]vape seo companies[/url], vape reviews and much more!

This index basically has all the e mail addresses of more or less every vape firm globally (ranging from vape outlets to vape wholesalers).

I individually sustain this catalog for a company along with 10 other people. I have the full authority to supply this list.

The directory is GDPR compliant and is renewed at least once a month. You will be given free life time updates here. Every month, the listing is cleaned to remove abandoned website names and mail boxes. New vape companies are added on a regular basis.

This vape firm e mail list is ideal for email [url=https://wowitloveithaveit.com]marketing[/url] and e-newsletter campaigns. It is basically all you need to have to network with all vape companies via the newsletter or e email medium.

The directory will be sent out to you in a notepad text file with one entry per line.

It includes the UNITED STATES, Canada, UK, Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa, Russia and CIS, Middle East and just about every single region worldwide!

https://www.fiverr.com/users/alecmonopoly

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

bongo.ezoicns.com