Improving the website?

Home Forums Angler's Forum Improving the website?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by ntaylor ntaylor 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Joe Lovelace
    Participant

I’ve been on this site for many years, mostly as a lurker and only occasional poster, since sometime before Capt. Mel’s death.  My posts are generally replies since I’m definitely not a charter operator drumming up business and my fishing ability/knowledge is far from expert;  I’m usually happy just catching rather than targeting specific species or loading the box.  Be that as it may, I like the various forums on the web and have gained a lot from them over the years.

This site, however, has been on a downhill slide for quite a while.  A thread will be started and never acknowledged. A particular forum may go 2, 3, 4+ weeks between posts. The variety of individual posters has dropped to almost nothing, with Neil, John Martin, and Harbison dominating.  Thank God for them, but additional input would be beneficial and add interest.

What’s the reason?  Did the death of Mel cause people to believe there should no longer be a “Capt. Mel” site?  Do readers have beef with the moderator?  (I have seen an allusion to that on a competing forum.  Professional jealousy?  Pissed off because the complainer was not chosen to take over after Mel?) Too many other competing sites?  I regularly visit 4 and occasionally a couple more.  Or has the site simply reached the end of its natural life, as did other sites I have used in the past?

What can be done to keep Capt. Mel alive?  I guess I could post more, but I don’t know how valuable my input would be, and more than one person is needed. Fewer sub-forums, concentrating the activity? General reorganization? Suggestions?

That’s my 2 cents for the day.

colonole1
    Participant

I followed this site with great regularity once upon a time. I felt there was slow slippage up until the new and improved version came out a year or two ago, then a DRAMATIC fall off. Maybe people didnt want to go through the somewhat aggravating, confusing, process of re-upping (actually, it was a pain in the adz). Maybe they were off-put by the the moderators irascible, in-your-face style, and the switch was just enough to push them off an edge they had been balanced on for awhile.

I hope it’s not in a death-spiral, because it once really lived and breathed.

Neil Taylor
    Neil Taylor
    Keymaster

Times have changed. Things will probably never be the way they were with social media what it is. I did a major upgrade of the site yesterday. So operationally it is working the best it has in years. That’s good for people that are looking around reading the different articles on the site. As for people posting, it’s a personal decision. I will go back to posting more once I get in that right place again. I have a lot going on. I am set to be publishing four books in the next 6 months.     With all my regular duties it has been difficult to find the time to get on here as much as I had been

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

There is an effort being made.    The meat of the site now is the articles.    The fishing reports are popular.   I have a great set of contributors for that.    I am the lead guy publishing feature articles.    It’s one at least every two week.    I have two new contributors coming on.

The forums, we will keep trying.    My tech people wanted me to drop them.    I said no. .  The forums were Mel’s thing.   I will keep the site as much like Mel had it until there is some other compelling reason to change.

The forums could come back some.    I have people who apologize to me for not contributing on this section.    And they should.     They would enjoy it because it would bring life back to it if half a dozen guys started talking fishing on here again.

I will be doing it more.    I’m out there every day.    I was pretty good about it.    Lately I just haven’t done as much because I just honestly haven’t been turning my computer on as often as usual and when I do it has been to publish the fishing reports.

Keep watching..     Things should change on here again

colonole1
    Participant

Cool. Thanks for the update, Neil. Four books ought to keep you out of bars for awhile.

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

That’s true.    I have been hard at it.

With the site upgrade, a couple of small issues.   These will be addressed.   Some of the photos that should be in the articles were switched with ads.   I’m not sure how that’s even possible.    If they can’t fix it on their end, I will find and put the right pictures back in.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.