January 2018

Home Forums Your Fishing Reports January 2018

This topic contains 2 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by ntaylor ntaylor 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author
    ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

Not a great start to a year. Weather mostly bad, very few trips.

Back out yesterday, a front arriving, we fished in the wind. And by wind, it was a solid 20. Water temperature up to a level I thought would be good we struggled early. Several opportunities for big fish (trout) but couldn’t get a hook in them.

We stuck to it, we moved around and Bruce eventually got on a good bite. Kind of odd he didn’t catch them like that the whole time but he did get to have his fun. A look through the shallows: No fish. Nothing but a few mullet. The shallows were a ghost town.

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

Fishing before the next cooldown: It was tough. 45 minutes of good action. The rest of the time it was really, really, really tough. No way around it: It just wasn’t good. They fed for that 45 minutes and that was it. Odds are, fish everywhere we went, they just only fed when we caught them. Waiting for more normal conditions to be honest. I was surprised: Good weather, ahead of the next front. I thought it would be better

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

Four days in a row, another front: A day off.
    Weird, wild stuff: Baiting hooks. Avoided bait for almost five years. The difficulty with severe weather: We went Sheepsheading. Successfully.

Live shrimp (sigh). Threw over Skyway rubble; a rockpile; under docks. Under docks the clear winter. No shortage of sheepshead

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.