bongo.ezoicns.com

two days: great to be fishing again

Home Forums Your Fishing Reports two days: great to be fishing again

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by ntaylor ntaylor 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

• Author
    ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

Two people yesterday.   Two people today.   Same two guys the next three days.

Yesterday, nothing special.   They thought it was great.   Me, I wasn’t impressed.

Today John from Maryland.   My best client.    John fishes with me 25 to 30 days every year.     Easily:  My best client.   Almost singlehandedly keeps me in business.   John said “Third best trip I have ever had with you.”   His buddy, also John, caught fish but not like John V.    John V. got on them pretty good.     He got a good redfish.    He got seven snook.   He got like 18 trout.     A couple of other things.

The plan for their next three days:  I’m hoping they score good all four days.      Four days, four different spots.       It should be good.

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

today, a gamble.    Only a few fish.    Went on intel I got around town.   I don’t think it was good intel.     Tomorrow should be really good.

J.A. Veil
    Participant

As Neil noted above, I had an excellent trip on Monday morning.  My buddy from Maryland (also named John) and I launched with Neil just before sunup and soon caught a few trout.  I moved off from the other guys. I continued casting and suddenly felt the strong pull and zinging drag that meant a redfish was on the line. I played it for a few minutes and landed a fat 24” red — my largest in a while and the first one in the last few trips.

We caught more trout over grass beds, then moved to cast along the edges of mangrove islands. I found one small island that gave me 10 snook bites with 7 of them actually getting brought to boatside.

At one point John and I moved through a narrow channel and out into a small lagoon. I made a long cast toward the middle of the lagoon. Just then, a little blue heron took off from a branch and flew into my line, which wrapped around a wing tip. I slowly wound in my line so I could work on removing the lure. But whenever I reach out to grab the lure to unwind it, the heron jabbed at me with a 4” long sharp beak – it actually broke the skin on my hand slightly. John came to the rescue. He used a rag to grab the bird’s head and keep it out of the way while I removed the wrapped line. The confused bird did not immediately fly off. Instead it perched on the back of my kayak until it figured out what to do after its strange experience.

My final fish of the day was the largest lizardfish I ever caught. It nearly 15” long.

I finished the day with 17 trout, 7 snook, 1 redfish, 2 ladyfish, 1 lizardfish, and a small pinfish. All fish were caught on 12 Fathom soft plastic tails and 3/16-oz jigheads.

J.A. Veil
    Participant

Today’s trip at a different location proved to be a different story.  It started out well as I caught three small snook in the first 20 mins of daylight.  We spent the next two hours looking for redfish without success.  I did manage two trout of 16-18″ size (the larger one is shown below) and a huge gafftopsail catfish.

ntaylor
    ntaylor
    Keymaster

Overall, tough with the full moon

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

bongo.ezoicns.com