bongo.ezoicns.com

Will I cause more damage?

Home Forums Boats & Boating Forum Will I cause more damage?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  E. David Worley 7 years ago.

• Author

Tony Prevatt

So I took my boat in to the shop to get my switchbox fixed and the mechanic said I have an exhaust leak. He said she runs fine with the cowling off but runs like crap with it on. He said it will be around $400 to fix because they will have to pull of the powerhead. I am tired of pouring money into this crappy Force motor and would rather save some $$ to repower or buy a new boat.

My question is if I still use the boat and run it with the cowling off until I get a new motor will I cause more damage?

Albert

It depends on the model of the motor. More than likely not. My guess is you have a Mercury.

Mark

Not sure if it will run worse with it off. I would think it would effect something because the air intake is designed to have the cover on.
    I also imagine the increased exposure to saltwater will accelerate corrosion and make things worse down the road.
    Can you see the exhaust leak? Perhaps you could plug/seal it yourself?

If it was me, and I planned on replacing the motor anyways, I would run it till it dies and save cash to buy a new one. Work second job etc..

Tony Prevatt

Just hurry up and get rid of that Force.

Go Merc… ♥

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

bongo.ezoicns.com