originally posted to Pro Angler’s Journal
by Capt. Jot Owens on January 21, 2011
Got Torque? The new Penn Torque 2nd generation does and they are also lighter than the first line of Penn Torque reels. With today’s super strong rods and braided fishing lines (super lines); you need a reel that can hold up to all the pressure these rods and lines can produce! Let me introduce the Penn Torque Star Drag Series 2nd Generation. These reels have all kinds of great features and are made for today’s super lines.
Here are some of the great new features the Penn Torques has;
• Machined and anodized aluminum body and sideplates
• Lightweight forged aluminum spool
• Stainless steel main and pinion gear
• Live spindle with free floating spool
• Patented Versa-Drag system with HT-100 washers
• Seven (7) sealed stainless steal ball bearings
• Instant anti-reverse bearing with silent back up ratchet
• Three Position Adjustable Bait Clicker
• Switchblade Harness Lugs on 40 size onlyThe revolutionary Live Spindle design is the reason the new Torque star Drag is the most castable reel on the market. The improved configuration allows the spool to spin independently of the spindle and pinion gear, which significantly reduces friction experienced from the extreme acceleration of the spool when casting. Other reels using a “fixed spindle” design slow the rotation of the spool and reduce casting distance. Additionally the Live Spindle improves the retrieve of the reel because the spindle and pinion do not need to turn relative to each other during heavy loads unlike “fixed spindle” reels that result in a difficult retrieve.
Line Capacity Rings are another new feature of the Torque Star Drag. These rings eliminate the question of how much line you have left when casting or fighting a fish. The three lines on the spool flange let you know when you have 1/3rd, 2/3rd or a full spool of line. Also if you respool often these lines give you a benchmark for backing or topping your super lines with monofilament which will help eliminate wasted time and line.
I was one of a handful to test these reels in the design phase of this reel and I was impressed with the Torque Star Drag for the beginning. I looked forward to fishing them every chance I got, they are so smooth and you can cast them a country mile! I as well as my customers caught some very nice fish on the Torque Star drag reels. We caught a Cobia on the TRQ15 that weighted in at fifty-eight pounds six ounces and lots of very nice Bull Redfish over thirty-five inches on the TRQ12 reel. I feel that these reels will be a good fit for the surf fisherman to the offshore jiggers and the live bait boat fishermen too; you can do so much with these reels due to there variety of features and sizes.
Please take a look at all the new fishing products from Penn at www.pennreels.com If you have any questions about any Penn product please let me know, I’ll be happy to answer them.
Capt. Jot Owens
Penn Reels Elite Staff
Ranger Boats Pro Staff