Makes 4 Servings
- Preheat grill; prepare okra recipe through step 2 (15 minutes)
- Prepare shrimp and begin to grill; reduce heat on okra (10 minutes)
- Complete shrimp and serve (10 minutes)
Shrimp and Sausage Skewers
3–4 links smoked Cajun sausage (about 10 oz)
16 jumbo peeled/deveined shrimp (thawed)
4 (12-inch) bamboo skewers
1/2 cup apple jelly
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Preheat grill. Cut sausage into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 16 slices).
- Coat both sides of shrimp with spray.
- Thread tail of shrimp onto skewer, then one slice of sausage, and then other end of shrimp (so that shrimp hugs sausage). Repeat until four shrimp and sausage pairs are on each skewer.
- Combine remaining ingredients in microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave on HIGH for 2 minutes, stirring once, or until liquefied.
- Place skewers on grill; cook 2–3 minutes on each side or until shrimp just begin to turn pink.
- Brush jelly mixture over shrimp; cook 1 more minute on each side and until shrimp are pink. Serve.
Stewed Tomatoes and Okra
2 (14.5-oz) cans diced Italian-style tomatoes
1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce
3 cups fresh (or frozen) cut okra (about 1 lb)
- Cut okra into 1/2-inch-thick slices (about 3 cups).
- Combine all ingredients (except okra) in medium saucepan; bring to a boil on medium-high. Stir in okra; return to boiling.
- Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer and stir 10–15 minutes or until okra is tender. Reduce heat to warm until ready to serve. (Makes 6 servings.)
- Complete your meal with white rice, fresh salad blend, corn muffins, and pound cake for dessert.
- The shrimp recipe makes a great party snack; just remove the skewers and serve. Or use short skewers for individual servings.