- 2 tbsp finely grated fresh root ginger
- 4 garlic cloves, finely grated or crushed
- 2 whole sea bream or red snapper (about 900g/2lb each) or 6 fish steaks like tuna
- 6 tbsp plain yogurt
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp mild chilli powder
- 3 tsp cumin seed
- If whole: Slash the skin of the whole fish, if using, on each side with a sharp knife. Mix the ginger and garlic, season with salt, then rub all over the fish. If fillets, just lay the fillets in place and proceed.
- Mix the yogurt with the oil, spices and seasoning. Use to coat the fish inside and out, then chill until ready to cook.
- TO BARBECUE: Cook straight on the rack (or on foil if you are afraid of it sticking) for 6-8 mins each side for the whole fish, or 3-4 mins for the tuna steaks. Cooking time will depend on how hot your barbecue is when you start.