A healthy choice:
While the term, ‘superfood’ may be an overused and overhyped buzz word in the media, it is a useful term to identify foods that deserve top billing on the menu! Superfoods aren’t magic, they’re super because they are loaded with nutrients that play a role in promoting health and preventing disease.
This week our fish dish is topped with an eye catching Pineapple Kale Tomato Relish. Okay, you may say, so where is the super in that? Allow me to highlight the super powers. As if the term ‘superfood’ buzzing around the internet isn’t popular enough, kale certainly gives it a run for it’s money, but with good reason:
According to scientist’s and nutrition experts, kale is among the most highly nutritious of vegetables! A member of the cabbage family, the best thing about kale is how extremely cancer preventive it is! One of the American Cancer Society’s key dietary recommendations to reduce the risk of cancer is to include cruciferous vegetables, such as cabbage (that includes KALE!) broccoli, Brussels sprouts, and cauliflower.
The reason for this recommendation? PHYTOCHEMICALS. The cabbage family contains more phytochemicals with anticancer properties than ANY OTHER vegetable family! Studies have shown that these anticancer properties increase antioxidant defense and improve the body’s ability to detoxify and eliminate harmful chemicals and hormones. Whew! That was a mouthful, but seriously, all hail King Kale!
Can you imagine being the first person to ever try pineapple? It is truly amazing that the spiky, prickly, thick outside layer is protecting such a sweet, delicious and nutrient dense fruit on the inside! Pineapple is an excellent source of vitamin C and manganese. It also provides vitamins B6 and B1, copper, magnesium, and dietary fiber. Just one cup of pineapple supplies 73% of the daily value of manganese. MANGANESE is a trace mineral which is essential to energy production and antioxidant defense. BROMELAIN is another ‘super-nutrient’ found in pineapple that helps to naturally aid digestion, and also contains the ability to reduce inflammation!
Trout with Kale, Pineapple, and Tomato Relish
- 1 tbsp olive or grapseed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or cayenne seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 (6-ounce) Trout fillets
- 3/4 cups chopped fresh pineapple chunks
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1/3 cup grape tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. pumpkin seeds (roasted)
- 1 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 small bunch of kale, chopped and slightly steamed or cooked.
- Lemon wedge (for the juice)
- Combine all your seasoning into a small bowl and mix.
- Chop your kale and tomatoes and slightly cook in pan or in microwave (maybe 20 seconds just to soften the kale and tomatoes a bit). Then combine with pineapple and the rest of your veggies and seeds. Mix and add in your vinegar. Sprinkle half the seasoning into your relish and gently stir again.
- While the relish soaks up the seasoning, rinse your fish and place on baking sheet. Drizzle oil over it and the other half of your seasoning. Bake at 400F for 10-12 minutes or until flakey.
- Remove from oven and squeeze a little bit of fresh lemon on top, then spoon relish on top of each fillet and serve.