By Cheryl Castellari
This is the most amazing, effortless NO SPLATTER way to cook shrimp in the oven – starting with an OVEN white wine reduction to create a can’t-be-beaten flavor base (just like cooking in a skillet!) then tossing in butter coated shrimp, topped with a crunchy garlicky topping.
Crunchy Baked Shrimp with Lemon Butter Wine Sauce (aka SHRIMP SCAMPI!)
500g/ 1 lb jumbo shrimp , weight after peeling
3/4 cup dry white wine
75g/ 5 tbsp unsalted butter , melted
2 tbsp lemon juice
3 garlic cloves , minced
1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper
CRUNCHY TOPPING – mix: 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs, 1/4 cup parmesan finely shredded, 1/4 tsp salt, 1.5 tbsp olive oil
GARNISH: Finely chopped parsley, lemon
1. Pour wine and half the butter into 9 x 13″ / 22 x 33cm glass pan. Place in 220°C/430°F oven for 10 min to reduce (oven wine reduction!)
2. Toss shrimp with remaining butter, garlic, lemon juice, salt and pepper.
3. Remove pan from oven. Add shrimp – spread out in single layer, but snug.
4. Top with Crunchy Topping. Bake 12 min. Flick to broiler/grill on high, broil for 1 – 2 minutes (max) to brown top a bit more.
5. Sprinkle with parsley. Serve immediately with lemon wedges and crusty bread to mop up the incredible sauce!